Living in Gibraltar

So you want to live in Gibraltar.  Here is what you need to know.

Residency in GibraltarRelocating in GibraltarGibraltar Tax Advantages

Gibraltar, a British Overseas Territory located at the southern tip of the Iberian Peninsula, is a unique and attractive place to live. Known for its rich history, strategic location, and vibrant culture, Gibraltar offers a high quality of life and a welcoming community. Whether you’re considering a move for work, retirement, or lifestyle changes, living in Gibraltar provides numerous advantages.


Must present a passport/National ID Card, an ETB registration for work along with a letter from the employer if registration is older than 6 months and proof of address ie a rental agreement with a validity of more than 6 months.

Self Employed

Must present a passport or National ID Card, ETB registration as self employed, a business certificate, a DSS schedule, proof of accommodation as above

Retired/Self Sufficient

Must present a passport, proof of income (Pension dividends, bank statements) – funds must come from a local bank, private medical insurance (unless have NHS entitlement transferred from the UK) and proof of accommodation as above. For further information contact the Civil status and Registration Office. Tel  +350 200 51725 or visit their website

Living in Gibraltar – GP Service and Hospitals

The Gibraltar Health Authority (GHA) follows a model closely linked to the National Health Service (NHS) in the United Kingdom. Sometimes patients are referred to the UK hospitals or to local Spanish Hospitals.

Getting Registered

You need to register for the Gibraltar Healthcare scheme under a contributory system called the Group Practice Medial Scheme (GPMS).  You need to qualify as an entitled person. If you qualify, the entitled person and their dependents will have access to all health care services free of charge. Medicine prescriptions are subsidized to a capped charge and dental treatment is  available free for children.

Entitled persons

The rules are complex, but as a rough guide, you need to complete and application and submit it to the Registration office. If working in Gibraltar you need to prove that your social insurance payments are up to date.  This is done by a getting a certificate from the Contributions Office in College Lane. You will also need to produce your residency card and submit your application with a passport size photograph.

Registration Checklist

  • Fully completed application form.
  • ETB Contract (if applicable).
  • PAYE Allowance & Social Insurance Contributions Class Certificate.
  • One passport photo on a WHITE background.
  • Civilian Registration Card (Current ID card / Passport).
  • Proof of address. (e.g. tenancy agreement, rental agreement and/or utility bills (water and electricity bills only))
  • Changes of name or address – documentary evidence will be requested.
  • If applying as a Frontier Worker – The S1 Certificate will be required.
  • If applying as a Pensioner for the first time – Proof that you are in receipt of an Old Age Pension will be required.

Getting a GP appointment

The Primary Care Centre is located at the St Bernard’ Hospital, Europort Road.   Visits to GP’s are arranged by appointment.  The centre also handles outpatient treatments. Secondary Care procedures are dealt with at the St Bernard’s Hospital. Primary Care Centre  +350 200 72355. St. Bernard’s Hospital  +350 200  79700. For more information and application forms visit:

Living in Gibraltar – Driving Licence

Gibraltar left the EU with the United Kingdom on 31st January 2020 however Driving licences for Gibraltar and the UK will be treated in the same way as the rest of Europe until the end of the transition period. Living in Gibraltar with an EU licence means you do not need to change your license to a Gibraltar licence prior to 31st December, 2020.  After that time, new arrangements may be required.

Applying for a driving licence in Gibraltar

Complete the application form and provide a valid Gibraltar identity card or permit of residence along with 2 passport photographs and possibly a medical certificate (if required). You must have resided in Gibraltar or the UK or N.Ireland for the last 12 months, 185 days and provide documentary evidence of this.  If you are over 70 your driving licence expires. To continue driving it must be renewed every 3 years by submitting a medical certificate confirming you are medically fit.

International Driving permits

An IDP allows you to drive a vehicle outside the European Union as long as it is accompanied by a valid Gibraltar driving licence. You will need to be a permanent resident of Gibraltar. Applying for and IDP, complete the application form and send to the driving licence centre along with 2 passport sized photographs. The IDP is valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

Driver & Vehicle Licensing Department

Eastern Beach Road, Gibraltar. Tel+350 200 51603. email: Source Gibraltar Government Office. living in Gibraltar, relocating in Gibraltar, Gibraltar tax advantages.


Living in Gibraltar: What to Expect

Real Estate Market

Gibraltar’s real estate market offers a variety of options, from luxury apartments with stunning views to charming townhouses. The market is competitive, and property values are stable, making it a sound investment.

Employment Opportunities

Gibraltar has a thriving economy with opportunities in finance, gaming, tourism, and shipping industries. The low unemployment rate and business-friendly environment attract professionals from around the world.

Education and Healthcare

Gibraltar provides high-quality education and healthcare services. The education system follows the British curriculum, and healthcare facilities are modern and well-equipped.

Recreation and Lifestyle

From hiking the famous Rock of Gibraltar to enjoying the local beaches, there is no shortage of recreational activities. The mild climate allows for outdoor activities year-round, and the local cuisine is a delightful blend of British and Mediterranean flavours.

FAQs about Living in Gibraltar

What is the cost of living in Gibraltar?

The cost of living in Gibraltar can be higher than in some neighbouring areas, but it is balanced by the high quality of life, favourable tax regime, and excellent public services.

Do I need a visa to live in Gibraltar?

If you are a British or EU citizen, you do not need a visa to live in Gibraltar. Citizens of other countries should check the specific visa requirements.

Is Gibraltar a safe place to live?

Yes, Gibraltar is known for its low crime rates and overall safety, making it a secure place to live and raise a family.

What languages are spoken in Gibraltar?

English is the official language, but many residents also speak Spanish due to Gibraltar’s proximity to Spain.

How is the healthcare system in Gibraltar?

Gibraltar has a modern healthcare system with high-quality services available to residents. The healthcare facilities are well-equipped and staffed by qualified professionals.

What is the education system like in Gibraltar?

The education system in Gibraltar follows the British curriculum, providing high-quality education from primary through to tertiary levels.

Are there job opportunities in Gibraltar?

Yes, Gibraltar has a robust job market with opportunities in finance, gaming, tourism, and shipping industries, among others.

What is the climate like in Gibraltar?

Gibraltar enjoys a Mediterranean climate with mild winters and warm summers, making it an ideal location for outdoor activities year-round.

Can I buy property in Gibraltar?

Yes, non-residents can buy property in Gibraltar. The real estate market offers a range of options to suit different budgets and preferences.

What cultural activities are available in Gibraltar?

Gibraltar offers a rich cultural experience with numerous festivals, historical sites, and a blend of British and Mediterranean traditions.